Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Is Micheal Schumacher simply the best f-1 driver ever?
yes 26 33.77%
no 51 66.23%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 Sep 2002, 23:25 (Ref:371691)   #1
Baritone24

Is Micheal Schumacher simply the best f-1 driver ever?

Is Micheal Schumacher simply the best f-1 driver ever?. i want to say no but look at the stats and they speak for them selfes!

Old 3 Sep 2002, 00:07 (Ref:371701)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No.

Statistics don't always prove an argument.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 00:39 (Ref:371710)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope. Please observe the debate ongoing in this thread:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=26845
Old 3 Sep 2002, 00:54 (Ref:371720)   #4
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Best ever?

No.

Top ten.

Probably.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 01:15 (Ref:371736)   #5
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This idea has been explored ad-nauseum. No offense intended, but a large percentage of threads on this forum usually wind up in some variation on the theme espoused by Baritone24 anyway, and often lead to a run of flame-throwing/baiting. No one could be sure they were correct anyway, it is far too subjective a topic for a definitive answer, it's really a personal opinion thing.

So I will keep it simple......IMHO.......no.

Old 3 Sep 2002, 01:20 (Ref:371743)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Best ever? imo...............no

Best driver out there today? possibly............but put a driver like Montoya in the other Ferrari, without team orders and see how things pan out over a season, then i'll give you an answer!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 01:34 (Ref:371749)   #7
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baritone, stupid time to post such a topic. The majority of F1 fans are quite annoyed at the current dominance of MSchu, and are unlikely willing to give an objective, unemotional opinion on such a topic. Bring back the same question in 15 years, and I guarantee that many will label him as the greatest ever.

By the way, many magazines usually conduct an analysis of past drivers in order to rank the best drivers. This is not a fan poll, but rather the opinions of people who have been involved in the sport for a number of years. I havent seen one for the last couple of years, but from the ones I have read, MSchu has been placed from 1st to 5th. Ive never seen him rank outside the top 5 in any analysis conducted by a magazine, so it is a safe bet that he is regarded in the top five of all time.

By the way, a definative answer will never be attained. Some will always rank 1)Clark, 2)Senna, 3)Schui. Others will have 1)Fangio, 2) Schui, 3)Clark etc. One thing is for sure, he is easily the greatest for his period (Mid-90's till today).
Old 3 Sep 2002, 01:49 (Ref:371759)   #8
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baritone24....you and me share the same sentiments. Yeah Michael is simply the best, just look at all the records he had broken....Senna's record is the final one!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 08:12 (Ref:371868)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't vote; I still consider impossible to compare drivers from differenteras. And anyway I'm not allowed to vote twice. So I let Nige to vote: "Michael is one of the best drivers ever and is possibly the greatest"

Mr V, Montoya is a good driver.. at least he's bold and charismatic. Williams and their BMW engine are in a better shape than 1996 Ferrari. He surely can turn the team around him and make Willies the dominant team and the best car. It took Michael 3 1/2 years. Montoya spent 2 by now.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 08:58 (Ref:371900)   #10
NME
Racer

NME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher is by far the best driver around, but i cant rate him the best ever.
He is the best now not only for his speed and ability to dominate everyone else both in and out the racetrack.
Remember that when Schumacher arrived at Ferrari they were fighting for a podium finish every 4 GP's. Now Ferrari is ruling the sport. Did anyone else ever transformed a average team - Benetton - in a WC winning team? Course he have all the best working with him and for him, but i doubt Montoya or Kimi can handle the pressure as MS does. Scumacher is the best now, cause he has the speed, the talent, the fitness and professional approach that most of the others dont have.

Best ever? Honestly i dont think so. When you say Senna, i can agree in part cause i won his trophies in a era where he used to race Piquet, Prost and Mansell. Senna was also special. I would love to see Schummy racing against him in proper conditions.
But going back to the good old days in the 60's i cannot imagine how courageous those guys were. Fangio, Clark, Moss and the 70's class also Stewart, Hunt, Lauda.
Unbelievable fights driving very fragile cars in extreme conditions. Those are my Racing Heros, that proved their abilities at Old Spa, Clermont-Ferrand, Nordschleife, Watkins Glen, Monza, etc, etc.
I cannot elect the best ever. I would have loved to have raced in the 60's.
My childood heroes were Keke Rosberg and Nigel Mansell.

Schumacher is today the best out there, but Montoya is my favourite.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 09:16 (Ref:371915)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best ever.....it's a big call...he's up against these blokes:

Jim Clark - stuck with Lotus his whole career, only ever finished second in Grand Prix ONCE...twice world champion, didn't always have the best car.

Juan Fangio - Five times world champion, always had the best car, also team orders, but German GP 1957...Schuey wouldn't have done that I don't think.

Ayrton Senna - 65 Pole Positions, 3 world championships, explosive driver. Remember, he only had the best car in 1988-91. Thereafter, no.

Alain Prost - FOUR World champions, lost by less then 10 points, on four other ocassions, could have been 8 times champion. A true proffesional.

That is just the tip of the iceberg....
Old 3 Sep 2002, 09:19 (Ref:371921)   #12
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Baritone24

It seems to me that you are a Schumacher fan, and if you are; you have taken the right poll to the wrong forum. When all is said and done and there will be more "no"s than "yes"es, trust me on that one.

Do not underestimate the anti-Schumacher forces around here baby hehehehe

PS The people saying he is not the best but maybe on the top 10, even if they will put him in the top 10 it will be with heavy hearts!

For me there has been four greatest Fangio, Prost, Senna and Schumacher. But for me Schumacher is begining to have an edge! Yes records and success are important. Why else do we have grand prix and races and competitions? Because people have their own interests relating to drivers, while the finishing lines of the tracks are less judgemental on who is crossing them. The finishing line does not care for what happened in Austria or Jerez. I trust the finishing lines more than anti-Schumachers on the matter, and if the finishing lines could speak………..
Old 3 Sep 2002, 09:56 (Ref:371960)   #13
Legend
Veteran

Legend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
The best ever.....it's a big call...he's up against these blokes:

That is just the tip of the iceberg....
DNQ do you really want me to give a description on what Schumacher has done in the course of 11 years? Say yes and I will make it just for you! Do you want to tell you what "those guys" are up against? Just say "do it" and I make a nice long list!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 10:36 (Ref:371987)   #14
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i've not been around long enough to give an accurate assesment...all i can see is he's basically done what maradona did for napoli and argentina - dragged two teams to somewhere they didn't look capable of going. is it his fault that mika, dc, jpm, hill, jv...aren't prost, senna, mansell or piquet?

btw...i consider maradona to be the greatest ever footballer, but thats a completely different ballgame
Old 3 Sep 2002, 10:42 (Ref:371994)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
is it his fault that mika, dc, jpm, hill, jv...aren't prost, senna, mansell or piquet?
Of course not...... but it IS his fault that they don't appear like them!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:06 (Ref:372019)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
is it his fault that mika, dc, jpm, hill, jv...aren't prost, senna, mansell or piquet?

Of course it isn't, but when he didn't have to fight for the championship against guys like these and had to fight against the guys you mentioned, who aren't as good, then how can he be labled the greatest?

Put it this way........Senna, Prost, Mansell and Piquet all had to fight one another which, between them included 146 victories and 10 WDC's.

TGF's closest contenders.......Hakkinen,Hill, Villeneuve and DC have a combined total of 4 WDC's and 65 wins between them, theres a big difference!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:09 (Ref:372025)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
TGF's closest contenders.......Hakkinen,Hill, Villeneuve and DC have a combined total of 4 WDC's and 65 wins between them, theres a big difference!
Put it this way Mr V: THAT WAS EXACTLY MY POINT
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:16 (Ref:372034)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No. Juan Manuel Fangio or Jim Clark would be the greatest drivers in F1, with Prost and Senna the greatest in the past 25 years, but Mario Andretti is the greatest driver ever.

TGF is in a series without any competition, in a car purpose built for him, with the rules adjusted to his benefit and a contract that guarantees him victory. Give that kind of advantage to anyone on the current grid and you'd be claiming HE was the "greatest ever".
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:24 (Ref:372043)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Liz, we've been discussing all thousands times, but please try to logically argument the
Quote:
Liz said:
with the rules adjusted to his benefit
Old 3 Sep 2002, 11:26 (Ref:372044)   #20
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
In answer to the question, no. But only cause like others I wouldn't rank drivers from different eras.

My top drivers in alphabetical order would be:

Clark
Fangio
Moss
Prost
Schumacher
Senna

Very close behind would be:

Lauda
Mansell
Piquet
Stewart

Just realised, that's a top ten rather convienently.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 12:37 (Ref:372081)   #21
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No.

Senna was THE best IMO. Followed by Fangio and Clark.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 3 Sep 2002, 12:39 (Ref:372083)   #22
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes he is the best.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 13:07 (Ref:372097)   #23
Gonfra
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

United Nations
International Man of Mystery
Gonfra should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absoloutely NO.
Old 3 Sep 2002, 13:41 (Ref:372114)   #24
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't Autosport just do a top 10? I thought that was a pretty decent piece (even before GV was ranked second - and ahead of TGF).

Michael is definitely top-10. Arguably top-5. Top of his era. I don't think I'd say he's top of all time, though.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Sep 2002, 14:04 (Ref:372131)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TGF
Senna
Clark

...in that order. Seriously!!